Monday, April 7, 2014

[Recipe] Braised Pork Belly in coconut juice

IMG_2616

Pork Belly indeed is one of my favourite meat. The first time I cooked it with this recipe , it turned out sooooo good and I just have to cook this again and again. Using coconut juice to cook the pork belly, is one of the vietnamese dishes. At first, I used a pressure cooker. But when I moved into another place and there wasn't any pressure cooker in the kitchen. Thus, second option is slow cook the pork on the hob for longer time. At least 2 hours.

IMG_2838

Ingredients: 
1kg boneless Pork Belly
4 tbsp caster sugar
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
Two can of coconut juice
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper (or less)
1 star anise
750 ml water (or more)

Method: 

  1. Slice the pork into thick rectangles.
  2. Place sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until it becomes a dark golden caramel. 
  3. Add pork. Cook, turning, until coated. 
  4. Stir in garlic.
  5. Add coconut juice and water, ensuring meat is submerged. Bring to a boil. 
  6. Add salt, pepper and star anise. Simmer for 5 minutes. 
  7. Transfer to a pressure cook and cook on a medium heat for 30 minutes. Then, simmer for 15 minutes. Alternatively, slow cook on the hob for at least two hours or simmer until the pork belly is fall-apart-tender.
  8. Turn on high heat to reduce the sauce if needed. 
Recipe was adapted from Ashlee and Sophie (contestants from My Kitchen Rules 2013).

They do have other recipes to serve with this dish. Caramel dipping sauce, Steamed buns and Asian Salad. But I find the sauce itself already taste so good and I don't need extra dipping sauce!  By the way, I have also tried their recipe for making Hainanese Chicken. It was amazing! 

IMG_2861 IMG_2846 IMG_2850 IMG_2853 IMG_2882

Putting 1tbsp of pepper gives a strong kick to the taste. It might because I'm using 1kg of Pork Belly instead of 1.5kg. Hence, the flavours are quite strong. You might have to add less than 1tbsp of pepper to have less spicy heat.

IMG_2855 IMG_2872


I use two normal cans of coconut juice and I find it's good enough Make sure it's 95-100% of juice though. It taste sweeter and add more flavours into it. Of course, you could use the fresh young coconut juice. But it will be slightly pricey.

IMG_2885

When the flavours were a bit too strong for my liking or lack of sauce, I will add more water and let it simmer for longer. Adjust it based on your liking. Overall, this is absolutely simple recipe!

Hope you will like this dish too!






No comments:

Post a Comment